- The all-new 2011 Ford Super Duty delivers even more productivity for commercial and fleet customers with best-in-class horsepower and torque as well as class-leading fuel economy from both the all-new diesel and gasoline engines along with Super Duty’s best-in-class towing and payload capability
- A full suite of technologies, including Ford Work Solutions™ and SYNC® voice-activated communications, make it easier for fleet owners to manage their vehicles and businesses
- New diesel engine is compatible with biodiesel up to B20 while the new gasoline engine can run on regular-grade gasoline, E85 ethanol or any blend in between, providing a wide array of fueling options for operators of either engine
- All-new 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift® six-speed transmission manages the improved power and torque with its SelectShift Automatic™ feature and includes upgrades to reduce cost of ownership; available Live Drive PTO (Power Take Off) extends diesel capability
DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 25, 2010 – When choosing a work truck, commercial and fleet operators demand the best. The all-new 2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty delivers, with best-in-class torque and horsepower as well as class-leading fuel economy from both the new 6.7-liter diesel and 6.2-liter gasoline engines that build on the line’s heritage of best-in-class towing and payload.
“Having the most capability means a customer doesn’t have to marginalize any segment while he tries to maintain and build his business,” said Jim Michon, truck fleet marketing manager. “Our customers expect the leadership capability that our trucks deliver and, with the 2011 Super Duty, they’ll also gain a significant improvement in fuel economy. It’s a win-win situation for commercial and fleet owners.”
The next-generation Super Duty builds on its legacy of capability, reliability, durability and dependability.
“Our customers can’t have their truck ‘call in sick,’” Michon said. “The Super Duty truck is their lifeblood. They need it out there every day.”
The 2011 Ford Super Duty line, which includes pickup trucks (F-250 through F-450) and chassis cabs (F-350 through F-550), is well positioned to address the needs of commercial and fleet customers in several ways.
Lowering the cost of ownership
Both the new 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 turbocharged diesel and new 6.2-liter gasoline powertrains will deliver class-leading fuel economy while also maintaining Super Duty’s best-in-class towing and payload. The architecture of both engines has been optimized for efficiency, as has the new TorqShift heavy-duty six-speed transmission.
The transmission’s fluid change interval also has been extended to 150,000 miles, in part due to a dual filter that provides fine filtration and large capacity in a single package. The dual filter also eliminates the need for a spin-on external filter.
The new 6.7-liter diesel’s architecture reduces downtime during service work, which helps get vehicles back on the road faster. During service on the turbocharger, for example, the body/cab does not require removal, reducing labor time. Service time on the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) cooler and high-pressure fuel pump also is expected to be markedly reduced because of the new layout. The new spin-on oil filter makes that servicing easier as well.
The new Power Stroke, featuring Tow Haul Mode with the integrated engine exhaust brake, helps improve driver confidence with large loads and prolong brake pad life.
Bottom line: Super Duty is the “and solution,” providing both capability and low cost of ownership that customers truly appreciate in a challenging economic environment.
New-to-segment Live Drive PTO (Power Take Off) adds capability
One of the functional improvements with the new transmission is the addition of segment-first Live Drive PTO (Power Take Off) capability. On 2011 Super Duty diesels with the PTO prep option, the PTO output gear is linked through the torque converter to the engine crankshaft. This allows the transmission to power auxiliary equipment such as snowplows, aerial lifts, tow truck lifts, cement mixers or dump trucks. The power is available any time the engine is running.
Pioneered on agricultural applications, the Live Drive feature is particularly useful when mobile PTO function is required during start-stop operations, such as salt spreading, cement pouring or snow plowing. “A fully functional Live Drive mobile PTO will allow Super Duty customers to take full advantage of the equipment on their trucks,” said Al Bruck, powertrain operations manager.
Flexible fueling options
The new diesel engine is compatible with biodiesel up to B20. Likewise, the new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline FFV-capable engine can run on E85 ethanol.
“For some of our fleet customers, having the option and flexibility of using biofuels is extremely important,” said Todd Kaufman, F-Series chassis cab marketing manager, noting the lower emissions biofuels offer.
Carryover gasoline engine
The proven 6.8-liter V-10 gasoline engine remains in the lineup for F-450 and F-550 chassis cab customers interested in upfitting bodies and boxes to the chassis. The five-speed TorqShift automatic transmission remains as well.
“A lot of F-450 and F-550 commercial customers have built their businesses around our truck with that configuration, so it’s important we retain that,” said Kaufman.
Variety of trim levels
The F-Series Super Duty offers a variety of trim levels – XL, XL Décor, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch® – to suit each customer. Some owner/operators, for example, opt for the King Ranch trim level, which includes Chaparral Leather seats, to help complete their “office.” In each level, customers will find more comfortable seats based off those in the current F-150.
Technology to help your business
Available Ford Work Solutions™ is one of many technologies that can help owners manage their business from the work site. Ford Work Solutions delivers four innovative features:
- An in-dash computer developed with Magneti Marelli and powered by Microsoft Auto that provides full high-speed Internet access via Sprint Mobile Broadband Network and navigation by Garmin. It’s the first broadband-capable in-dash computer in production. This system allows customers to print invoices, check inventories and access documents stored on their home or office computer networks – right on the job site.
- Tool Link™, a Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) asset tracking system developed
in association with DEWALT, the industry leader in professional power tools, and ThingMagic, the industry expert on embedded RFID technology. This enables customers to maintain a detailed real-time inventory of tools or equipment stored in the pickup box.
- Crew Chief™, a fleet telematics and diagnostics system, which allows fleet owners to efficiently manage their vehicles, quickly dispatch workers to job sites and keep detailed vehicle maintenance records.
- Cable Lock security system, developed in association with Master Lock®, the industry-leading lock manufacturer, discourages theft of expensive tools too large to fit in the cab.
SYNC®, Ford’s industry-first, voice-activated hands-free communications and entertainment system, leverages industry-leading voice-recognition software, integrated GPS technology and a customer’s Bluetooth®-capable mobile phone. SYNC’s new application, Traffic, Directions & Information, provides simple hands-free access to personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn driving directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports and weather.
As with all Ford products, customer feedback was vital in developing the all-new 2011 Super Duty, especially with commercial customers.
“We’ve had our key fleet customers involved every step of the way as we’ve developed the new 2011 Super Duty,” Michon said. “Their valuable input has been reflected in the new truck, from the major features such as B20 capability to more minor, but still important, items such as driver manual lumbar on the vinyl seat. Thanks to the input of our customers, and the strong capability and focus of our engineering, design and manufacturing teams, the new 2011 Super Duty achieves a whole new level of capability.”
# # #About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 198,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.