Ford Focus Electric Earns Top Vehicle Safety Rating from NHTSA
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded the 2013 Ford Focus Electric a five-star Overall Vehicle Score in its New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) testing
- Focus Electric was designed with safety in mind with its airbags and AdvanceTrac® with electronic stability control
- The driver’s airbag uses a reconfigured curve-shaped tether system that pulls in the lower section to create a “pocket” to help lessen the impact of the airbag on the driver’s chest and ribs in frontal crashes
DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 7, 2013 – The 2013 Ford Focus Electric earned a top vehicle safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Focus Electric, Ford’s first all-electric passenger vehicle, earned a five-star Overall Vehicle Score in NHTSA New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) testing, which combines vehicle performance in frontal and side-impact crash tests and resistance to rollover.
“As more people shop for electrified vehicles, the Focus Electric now offers both a top vehicle safety rating from NHTSA and a faster-charging technology that allows it to fully recharge in three to four hours,” said Steve Kenner, global director of the Ford Automotive Safety Office.
Focus Electric features front and side airbag technologies to tailor deployment to individual occupants. The driver’s airbag uses a reconfigured curve-shaped tether system that pulls in the lower section to create a “pocket” to help lessen the impact of the airbag on the driver’s chest and ribs in frontal crashes. Innovative side airbags feature unique shoulder vents that stay open and reduce pressure for smaller occupants who typically benefit from reduced forces.
Ford just announced that more than 900 Ford dealers will soon be certified to sell plug-in electrified vehicles, including Focus Electric, up from 67 dealers in February 2012. The spike in electric vehicle-certified Ford dealers reflects increased demand for the company’s electrified vehicles. Ford’s share of the electrified vehicle market is now second behind only Toyota.
Focus Electric safety and security features include:
- AdvanceTrac® with electronic stability control
- Dual-stage front airbags
- Front seat side airbags
- Side-curtain airbags
- Four-wheel anti-lock braking system
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children)
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
The 2013 Ford Focus earned a NHTSA five-star Overall Vehicle Score as well.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 171,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.